View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #94
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I have to say I think its funny that people are complaining about this so much, but not the actress who is playing starfire
Well Starfire is orange so the race of who plays her is irrelevant she'll need to be painted. If she remains black then I'll be angry but I would've been angry at a white Starfire too, unless she had one of those fake tans that makes her look orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
And there's such a thing as acting, where you can become someone you're not in real life.

Charlton Heston was not Hebrew, yet his portrayal of Moses in The Ten Commandments was great.
Naomi Scott was Kimberly in Power Rangers and it worked because she's "white enough" to pass it off, and she's great here because she's "brown enough" for me, though I wouldn't mind if she were tanner in this movie. I might not be choosing the best words but I guess my point comes across.

People having issues with races of the characters they like is logical, I usually don't care as long as they can "pass off" as the race the character normally is.

In other cases like Death Note it was more of an "american" take than Light/L trying to be those characters from the manga so it was ok, well the movie was kind of bad but you know what I mean. When it comes to manga that characters aren't technically Japanese I don't care, in the case of Ghost in the Shell it didn't matter much to me. In Spawn I was mad that they made some characters white so it wouldn't feel like "a black film". Kingpin in Daredevil(movie) I was fine with since he gave such an awesome performance that I couldn't see anyone else. Bane not being Latino in TDKRises was a shame though.

Basically my stand is:

I hate when characters are changed their ethnicity for whatever reason when they already have one while some only want white people because their bigots and others only want people of color because they think it's only fair.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote