View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #22
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Out of all the new characters the Nickelodeon series has introduced, Tiger Claw is probably my second or third favorite. (Xever being my favorite and Steranko also close) Eric Bauza is a solid voice actor to work with the role, nailing the gruff and stern one would expect out of a bounty hunter. He's had badass showings (specifically his first two appearances) and when used in the spotlight properly, he's a highlight for the series.

However, just because he's one of my personal favorites doesn't make him immune to cons. It took way too long to get the origin of his character for one, coming in at the tailgate of season 4; even then, the Alopex rivalry feels offputting. The Tale of Tiger Claw was rather rushed and with the subplot of Casey Jones' cursing, it made what could've been an excellent feud into something rather unclear. Add into the fact his character seemed to shift dynamics quite a bit.

A few individuals, myself included, have pointed out Tiger Claw questioning Shredder's authority. It was one of the best things brewing into the third season; had the trigger been pulled, there could've been three Foot Clan factions possibly for season 4: Shredder, Baxter Stockman and Bradford on one (possibly Xever), Tiger Claw, Bebop and Rocksteady on another, and finally Karai and the then introduced Shinigami. Despite the opportunity to make Tiger Claw his own villain, it seemed more dedicated to making him Shredder's lackey even after the latter's demise in Owari. At least with Hun in 2k3 he made the Purple Dragons an organized criminal gang following Ch'rell's then presumed death. With Tiger Claw, his loyalty feels a little out of control at points; by the time he made the sudden (offscreen) truce in End Times, it all felt off.

Tiger Claw, along with Bradford and Xever, would've benefited if they each had at least an extra episode or two to flesh them all out earlier on in the series. Now that the aforementioned End Times essentially established the Foot making peace with the Turtles (unless a future episode says otherwise), it bothers me Tiger Claw became an afterthought.

Far from a bad character, but Tiger Claw I'd rather prefer to stay in Nick or be a one off in the future. There are several bounty hunter type characters in TMNT itching for usage, such as Scale Tail. Either way, Tiger Claw was solid for what he was for the most part.