View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 01:29 AM   #468
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I think you're remembering wrong, homie. What you're describing is more the reception of Out of the Shadows. The "buzz" around the first movie was almost all negative. It all started with the whole being aliens thing and they never recovered from there. Even now it sits at 22% on RT with a 51% audience score. Hardly a passing grade.

It has it's fans, sure - what doesn't? - but by and large nobody really liked it.
I don't know, I can only call what I saw. I don't go on many websites, but all I saw anywhere from Cracked to Screen Rant was, "TMNT was always dumb, if you don't think so you just got too old to remember, so just turn your brain off and go with it." That was from the beginning, and then they just doubled down on it for the sequel. Not to mention in "Real Life", anyone I've ever talked to who's seen that movie just raves about it (and the sequel). They're "perfect" and "just like the cartoons!" as far as they're concerned. I've only ever talked to a few people who thought it was bad. Most people in my circle who wouldn't have liked it just didn't bother watching it. Anyone I've talked to about it just wonders why the hell a movie about TMNT was even 1% serious to begin with. So we don't talk about it much. They just ask me if I'm still a TMNT fan, and I say "no" so we don't have to talk about the movies at all. It's... simpler.

But I vividly remember seeing and being told that I was foolish for wanting a good movie way before we heard anything about Bebop and Rocksteady. Not to mention, this forum was overwhelmed with "fans" from the jump, while people like me were constantly on the defensive for pointing out what was wrong with it, or where the filmmakers had flat-out lied about this or that. Some of them were undoubtedly plants but many of them are still here, and have no problem explaining why they think it's great.

I mean, yeah obviously most critics gave it poor marks but that was to be expected, the movies weren't for them. I do know that there was already a vocal chorus of "This is Just Fine, stop taking things seriously" going back to the first one, and they all just got way louder for the second one.

Anyways, no, I could introduce you to people who even think the first one was great. I can't in good conscience call anything "universally" anything if I personally encounter the exact opposite phenomenon on a regular basis, even if it's almost certainly true-ish. I can't call what I don't see.

I do agree in general, though, that most people with any taste at all probably didn't care for it, but they also probably didn't watch it, or only did so because it was their job. People who went into it willingly tend to have a much higher opinion of both movies, I've noticed. Be it lowered expectations or something else entirely, a lot of people got exactly what they wanted and they don't mind telling you about it.

I think what puts me in the minority is that the second one seemed worse.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote