View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #27
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
These crossovers are done for one and one reason only, fanservice but that's not a bad thing. If you don't like it you can just ignore those episodes as they usually have little bearing to the plot.

If you're a casual fan then you don't think twice about the crossover and enjoy it for what it is. If you're a continuity nerd like me and many others then we like to fix things to make it fit. It's obvious the writers don't go to the lengths of discussion the average fandom does, they just take the essence and do the crossover.

If there's no crossover it's fine, even if I do prefer them. But it's already set up that the turtles live in a multiverse so even without a crossover it exists in it but you as a fan of only that show you don't care and that's cool too.
Fan service is a tricky thing, because show runners do want to please the fans but going overboard with fan service is usually bad as it can compromise the show runners original vision.

Quote:
This thread is more for people who do care, for example Prophet I think you feel that way about the MCU while a more casual fan will just watch whatever movie was released without thinking what went on in the previous films.
You know me so well!

Quote:
As far as "show us different versions of the TMNT", that's a cheap argument that arose in the new show thread and it's condescending. We've gotten many different takes of the franchise, no one wants the same thing done again. when The Batman came out and did things differently people complained but I loved it, when it became BTAS-lite I hated it but people loved it since it was "more of what they wanted.

The OT, 2k3, TNM, PD are all different takes. If you think they're the same then I don't know what to tell you. Change for changes sake is not good though, steampunk TMNT would be cool for a crossover episode but not for the actual show to all be like that. All TMNT shows have given us alternate takes in their "future" episodes where they meet a very different world, so in a way it's already being done.

For other very different takes take a look at the Summer shorts from last year and this year. They were all very different takes, and I think I'm the only one left who wants to see the missing ones, I enjoyed them all, no matter how weird they were.
I didn't meant to say that a whole show should be done with a vastly different take on the Turtles, like making them pirates or have steampunk technology or anything like that, just an episode or multi-episode arc. I think it would be easier to pull off elseworld-style takes on the Turtles for just a few episodes rather than making a whole series about them, which would undoubtedly rub some fans the wrong way.

I do think that every iteration of the TMNT needs to do something differently, but there are also undeniably some things that should probably not change (for example... changing the Turtles to aliens will probably never be accepted as a viable premise).

All the versions of the TMNT we've had so far have been totally different (OC, OT, OM, and all the subsequent versions) while still staying relatively true to the core essence of the TMNT.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote