View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #97
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Actually, the only thing I edited was my favorite turtle section. My location has been written this way for the past couple of years.Well, Adventure was only supposed to be one series and was supposed to end with an epilogue with Yamato and Sora together according the series director. During its run, another series was ordered. Adventure 02 was pretty much promoting the D3 at the time as well as the D-Terminal along with some elements from the Wonderswan games (V-mon, Ken, Wormmon, for example).

Also, for Adventure's continuity, to be chosen one had to be 12 or younger, which was mentioned in Adventure. It's like only kids can help mostly. The 02 ages were...

Jou: 15 (last year of Junior High unless his private school held both junior and high school)
Taichi/Sora/Yamato: 14 (second year at Odaiba Junior High School)
Koushirou: 13 (First year at Odaiba JHS)
Mimi: 13 (First year of JHS if in Japan/maybe last year in NY)

Miyako: 12 (Last year at Odaiba Elementary)
Takeru/Hikari/Daisuke/Ken: 11 (5th year at Odaiba/Tamachi Elementary)
Iori: 9 (3rd year at Odaiba Elementary)

There was an age restriction on being chosen, which was probably why the three vets (Takeru, Hikari, and Ken) could contribute and help while Taichi and the others couldn't.

The show was also being a bit realistic too. Elementary school students have a lot of free time, unless you were like Jou who was attending a cram school since he was trying to get into the private school he's in for 02 (public JHSs don't have entrance exams, but all high schools do). Junior-high-school students don't have as much free time. ES students don't have as much testing, nor do they have mandatory school club activities. For JHS, all students must participate in a club activity.

This is more than likely why we saw Koushirou more than Taichi and Yamato more than Sora. Koushirou was in the computer club and Yamato had a music club. Not as time consuming as sports clubs (Taichi had soccer/Sora had tennis) and they don't meet as much. Sports clubs can even meet during school vacations. For example, in movie 4, despite being on spring break, Sora was busy with her tennis club.

For this upcoming series, I could see the following being busy with real life stuff out of the Adventure/Adventure 02 cast....

Jou preparing for university entrance exams as he would be in his final year of high school

Koushirou/Mimi: They would be first year high school students so plenty of testing

Miyako preparing for high school entrance exams

Takeru/Daisuke: I could see both doing a sports club (basketball and soccer respectively)

So yeah...that's my theory.
Just for future reference could you use their Americanized names for
clarity.

I never caught on to an age limit. I assumed the six older kids were all 12 while T.K. and Karai were 8 at the time. Then fast forward 3 years and they are all 15 while the two younger that still got to participate full time were 11, a year younger than the older six in the first season.

I am a secondary school teacher here in the States and know the system well. Its quite different in Japan and despite the US governments efforts it does not equal the system of your current country. I appreciate your insight and vote of realistic nature it portrays. I thought the producers were trying to force us to appreciate a different set of characters by revolving around T.K. and Karai's age group and pushing the other main ones as side mentor characters. Audiences saw that with Super Sentai and all its live action heroes changing annually not to mention Ash's Pok'emon rotation.

You say that Sora was always intended to be with Matt? Season 1 and Digimon the movie really makes it clear that it was Tai/Sora and Joe/Mimi. I remember as a kid when Matt and Sora fought Phatomon when capturing Karai, thinking it would be funny if Matt ended up with Sora instead and perhaps with Mimi. That was my 12 year old mind. Lo and behold it actually happened as far as the odd pair of Matt/Sora.

That was back when the only internet spoilers referred to control spires built by a Digimon Kaiser and it was up to T.K. and Karai to restore order. Oh, the days of the primitive internet.