View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #40
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Steph Dumais did art on Tales Vol. 2 #41.
Steph Dumais is a guy.

this is a big topic that's very important to me that is too sprawling to get into too deeply here, but one of the big obstacles regarding this, and one of the reasons i believe it IS important to seek out female talent, is because since American comics has traditionally been a male-dominated field, many potential women creators don't know the opportunities exist in the first place, they don't feel it's accessible to them, or they feel unwelcome by the "boys' club" element happening in comics. i still hear stories from colleagues who meet girls or women who are surprised that women draw or write comics, they had no idea that it's even a thing because the common perception is that comics are for boys. it's changing, of course, the manga boom a while back helped a lot, for example, now the webcomic option is huge, i know a ton of women in comics and lots more i don't know personally, and i'd say things are better than ever but there's still an issue.

another thing similar to the Gail Simone anecdote: when i was slated to draw the new TMNT comic series for Dark Horse before that fell apart, the main writer we talked about was Jen Van Meter, who did Hopeless Savages for Oni Press (and with whom i worked with on Hopeless Savages vol. 3, my first published comic work ever back in 2002-2003) and some stuff here and there for DC and Marvel (i think she wrote a Black Cat book and some JSA stuff).

anyway, you rock, Cipher! these sorts of topics are great to discuss.

Last edited by Sophie Campbell; 12-30-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote