View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #1090
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm guessing that very few of the people responsible for writing Wally's epic run from 1986-2008 are handling anything at DC right now, and the folks who are most likely skipped that whole entire era when they were readers.

Ever since 2003 or so, there's been a weird push at DC to gradually wipe away and minimize anything that happened post-Crisis, and restore the status quo of the Silver Age - despite the post-Crisis era being objectively way better than anything previous, up until somewhere around 1996 or so when everything started losing focus. As discussed, Geoff Johns probably does it the most, but it's been pretty persistent across the line: Between costume changes and swapping Kyle and Wally for Hal and Barry, or repeatedly trying to wipe out Byrne's Superman origins and replace it with the Silver Age version, despite the numerous problems and inconsistencies that brings, it's like a lot of the writers and editors at DC want to only play with the DCU they watched when they were kids in the 1970s. They have no affection for anything Post-Crisis, because in their eyes Crisis was a bad thing that "ruined" the DCU instead of fixing it, so anything established after 1986 either isn't important or has to be removed. They grew up on Barry and Hal, so guys like Wally and Kyle can get f*cked, for all they care.

Nobody who grew up reading Wally West's Flash would treat the character as badly as he's been treated for the last decade or so. He was the most successful "sidekick" in comic book history, the only one who went on to surpass his mentor and predecessor in every possible way. But you wouldn't know he's important at all, if you've only been reading for the last few years. Shameful.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote