View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #25
Galactus
Foot Elite

While there is an argument to made that the 2014 movie soured people on the sequel it should not be the go-to explanation/excuse for why Out of the Shadows failed so spectacularly.

Out of the Shadows had a big marketing campaign that successfully conveyed a sense that they were taking a different approach from the previous movie, one that played up all the aspects it was largely believed fans wanted and people largely turned their noses up at it. The question we should be asking is why were so many more people willing to give a "wrong" version of TMNT a shot and not one that was looked like it was doing a lot "right"?

Personally I found no problem getting friends to go see the 2014 movie with me. They cared less about the controversies and changes to the canon, they were open to see it because it looked like in many ways they were giving the property the same kind of treatment a lot of modern comic book movies are given (the end result wasn't really like that but that's what it kinda looked like) whereas trying to find friends to go with me to see the sequel was met with apathy or variations of "I don't know...looks kinda dumb".

TMNT may be a well known property but it's not at a level where it can solely rely on fans. People that were not really fans and may have been put off by the first where not going to be swayed back by overcrowding it up with 80s series characters and concepts, they were not going to get bums on seats by making it seem so dumb they might be embarrassed to see it without accompanying a child.

Another big problem I have with blaming the 2014 movie for the sequels failure is that should there be a reboot down the line it may it breeds the idea that Out of the Shadows unfairly flopped because of it rather than it being a sub par movie itself (in many ways it was worse than it's predecessor) and the lesson someone studio executives will learn is to go for something like Out of the Shadows straight away. That should not happen.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue of whether the movies should be Mirage or Fred Wolf inspired we cannot load it with so many characters and concepts and expect people to come just because. It may be an overused example but look at the Marvel movies, they were working to a goal but took it one movie at a time. TMNT cannot afford to skip the origin or cut straight to "fan favourites". It needs to establish itself with good stories and characters before it even vaguely considers putting in off kilter concepts.

Last edited by Galactus; 10-30-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote