View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #64
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Sure they had a "vision" for those films... a snowy mountainside and the Amazon river.

They need to stop trying to write films inside out like that. I get that they want and need some kind of "boss fight" within it, but by starting there they have let focus on that cheapen the rest of the story they build around it, like they didn't really care about the rest of it, it was just stuff made up to get to that one idea they thought was totally epic and believed would carry the whole film. (Heck, Krang wasn't even the boss fight in OotS like he should have been. It was far too brief and he never got to be a legitimate threat to the city so it carried no real weight.)

edit: Come to think of it, both of those films made their high impact scene the lower level boss, so to speak... neither were the big bad, as the Shredder fight wasn't really any more epic than Krang's was. Weird.
The problem is, they HAVE to do things that way in order to get budget approval. They need to have a "proof of concept" to show the producers, and generally-speaking it does make sense to show off the biggest and most expensive set piece and work backwards from there. You're not going to show off a conceptualized scene of two characters in conversation, or whatever, if you're trying to secure hundreds of millions of dollars to get your movie made.

I mean, not EVERY movie gets made that way, but it is in fact how most "blockbuster" movies are made. And while it's lousy from a storytelling perspective, it does make sense from a dollars-and-cents perspective even though it's "backwards". If you watch ANY "big" action movie from the past 10-15 years or so that had a budget of about $200 million, and you look carefully, you can almost always pick out which scene was the one they showed off in the pitch meeting, the one the rest of the movie was built around. They tend to stand out. And without that One Scene to "razzle-dazzle" the investors, your movie simply isn't getting made.

People call it sour grapes, but what Scorsese said about MCU-style "blockbuster" films being "theme park rides" and not "true cinema" is entirely on-point. When you're making a "real" movie, you start with a script. But when you're making a Blockbuster, you start with the Big Scene that's going to eat up the biggest chunk of the budget and work backwards from there. Most of these movies don't even have "scripts" in the true sense, just bullet points from the producers. "You need to have This, you need to do That", etc., and then they staple it all together into something semi-coherent in post-production. You'd be amazed how many of these blockbuster movies were filmed without an actual script; that was always one of Ryan Reynolds's biggest gripes with making the Green Lantern movie, for example, the fact that they shot almost the entire thing without much more than some notes the producers faxed over every morning.

Which all goes back to my "They shouldn't try and make a TMNT movie the same way they make Avengers movies" argument. But nobody ever listens to me even though I'm right.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote