View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #68
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Did you read the infamously spoiled #50, Cylons? How was that "wedding" issue and all the build-up to it? I'd been thinking of catching up on that through trades.
It lived down to my expectations. In my opinion, Tom King is hugely overrated and probably his own biggest fan. Every time he entices me with an interesting setup or beginning of an arc (I Am Suicide, I Am Bane, War of Jokes and Riddles, the wedding), he always ends up pissing me off with the execution or the endgame.

I cherry-pick the issues I read by him now... haven't entirely cut off the Batman series, but considering it. The wedding issue was just... boring. And, of course, enraging. And the last page seems like a "trust me, guys, I'll make it all up to you and worth it in the end!" kinduva thing.

My thoughts, basically? "Aw, fvck you." You had the chance to do something amazing, and you didn't. But I'll give the man credit--he does what he wants, and he obviously believes in the stories he's writing. I admire that. I hate his stories, but I kinda admire the man for writing them.

ADDED: Oh, and for the record, I hated the whole Grayson series, too. Superspy James Bond Dick Grayson... again, I admire the man for doing something bold and different, but I despised it.