View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

I'unno, 18 and 21 both sucked sh*t for me. Nothing changed. I don't even remember 18. My 21st Birthday I was doing a moving job in NYC until like 1am like any other day. It was the sh*ts. Two days later, a couple co-workers found out I didn't "celebrate" my 21st, so they "kidnapped me" after work and took me to do shots of whiskey at one of their houses. Hardly a day I look back on fondly. When you've been drinking since you were literally a child, 21 means nothing at all. And it's also frustrating, because I still can't buy beer anywhere without ID, which I find insane, because I seriously doubt I look that young anymore. I've found 6 gray hairs in the last two years, it's simply impossible for me to believe I look 19 to the lady behind the bar. Good on her for doing her job, but still, it's bullsh*t.

Milestones are what one makes of them. I find these particular ones - voting age and drinking age - to be pretty arbitrary, in truth. Neither one means anything meaningful; in fact, the part of your brain responsible for making decisions doesn't fully develop until age 25, so technically, biologically, a person isn't really an "adult" until then, so why isn't 25 a celebrated milestone? Or 16, the age most people can legally drive? Or even 14, when most people can obtain their working papers and get their first job? Those are more important parts of life in the "big picture" than being able to vote, which is meaningless, or drink, which is pretty cool but nothing special.

I'unno, don't worry about how old you are and worry about making the days count, that's the best advice I could give. I'm bad at it, but it's still good advice.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote