View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Sounds like an interesting idea. But would anyone be interested in a show that took place before the Turtles? Obviously the Turtles have always been a big draw. But could people watch a show without the fantastical elements that are the turtles?

This is one of those things I would have issues with. Because I like seeing anthropomorphic characters being any of the Turtles or any of the mutants. a show which is just human characters set in that universe would be kinda boring for me.
The Punisher is essentially a Spider-Man spin-off (started out as a Spider-Man supporting character and did not get his own book until 12 years after his introduction). While I don't care about the Punisher, the fact that plenty of Spider-Man readers were interested in reading about a guy with gun systematically murdering ordinary mobsters, should tell you something about spin-offs. And it's not like the Punisher is just a moderate success either, the comic has been in near constant publication since 1986.

So no, there is no issue in making a spin-off that is about normal human characters. It really isn't that hard to imagine a spin-off about Casey Jones, Hamato Yoshi, Shredder, Karai, Angel, Hun, Baxter Stockman, Nobody or April O'Neil. As long as there are decent writers and artists working on such a project it can find an audience.

And if you're willing to let go of your weird throbbing boner for mutants, you'll realise that choosing to make a spin-off about either humans or mutants is a false binary. A series dedicated to the Utroms, Renet, Bishop or the Fugitoid could be quite interesting as well.

The Turtles are fun characters but the line of thinking that a series has to be about them or characters similar to them is a very uncreative line thinking that would cripple the possibility of successful spin-offs.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote