View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #18
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Could these claims hurt Joss Whedon in the long run, if they are true?
Not really. Will he lose a decent chunk of his hardcore fanbase? It's likely. But it will have literally zero impact on his career, professionally. He'll still get to direct blockbusters, produce television, and do whatever the hell he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Having read the essay, I think the claim Kai is making is that the justifications he made while having the affairs...along with the betrayal of cheating in the first place, call his stated belief that "women are equal" into question.
I'm still having a bit of a hard time grasping how one correlates to the other. People trip on their beliefs from time to time; does that immediately dissolve them of their label? We all have our weaknesses. We're all human. And this is coming from someone who is proud to say he's never cheated. But it's not like I don't understand the temptation, either.

We also need to keep in mind we know probably about 0.5 percent of everything thats been going on in the past 15 years behind closed doors. I wonder if it would change how people feel about this if we learned that his wife had also cheated multiple times during his long shoots away from home? We know so little about the ins and outs of their relationship.

And it's Hollywood, people. Not that it's an excuse in and of itself, but there's a common lifestyle that happens in the industry. You know how many actresses I've asked out to be told "Sure, but you should know, I have a boyfriend in (another city), but we're in an open relationship so I hope that's okay with you."

No doubt people will now begin combing through his work to find tiny little examples of Misogyny to cement their newfound opinion on the man whose same work they held as the gospel for the last 20 years.

I'd also like to say that if Whedonesque is shutting down because it's owner's opinion on the man changed overnight then that's hilariously sad.

Times like these I'm so glad I have the ability to separate art from the artist

Last edited by Krutch; 08-23-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote