View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #50
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

You do make a good point that there are left-wing moral panics.

For every "Pokémon is about demons" there is a "Pokémon promotes animal fighting/abuse". For every "Harry Potter is promoting devil worship" there is a "Harry Potter incites using literal children to fight against forces adults couldn't finish themselves". Which could also slide into: For every "Dumbledore is gay and gay is bad!", there is a "Dumbledore was a manipulative wuss at the end of his life in spite of the many successes of his prime and endangered the life of a teenage boy".

Heck, there's even points where both sides can share a panic. Namely that of child endangerment. For example, A Series of Unfortunate Events.
There's the suggestion that someone would dare to make a 13-book series focusing on adults tormenting children, without a competent grown-up in sight, because that never happens in real life! (It does), and that it was planting the idea in children that not all adults are trustworthy.
I recently saw someone point out a comment on Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events. "I stopped watching when Olaf slapped Klaus. Child abuse is never okay". (I'm glad I wasn't drinking when I read that comment because I probably would have spit it out laughing)
Who knows if that person is right or left. What they are is airheaded for missing everything up to the point where the abuse became physical. There are others who get wound up because of the impression of the adults being presented as dumb and careless. Who knows if they're left or right. It doesn't matter. It just shows that they themselves would probably be the dumb and careless adults if they were in the story.

The moral panics of one group do not excuse the moral panics of another. They never do. And it does not help to incite the hair triggers of either group. It just reduces your own group's credibility.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 02-09-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote