View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #1649
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
As with many works of fiction you're trying too hard to look at things that aren't there. It's Space Fantasy at its core, there's plenty of political heavy fiction if you prefer, Star Wars isn't it and I don't know why you keep bringing it up, I already mentioned it's not what makes the new movies bad (or good). I didn't even notice the feminist agenda until pointed out later, I was too mad about everything else they had done to care.
Star Wars most certainly IS it.
Popular culture need not be overt in its political affiliations to be political.
Popular culture holds up a mirror to the social norms and conventions of the day.

Maybe you don't see that because someone hasn't pointed it out to you yet?

Quote:
It's more of a "You liked it. It worked for you." And that's cool. The majority didn't.
On the one hand, uh...okay?
On the other, are we sure about that majority?

Quote:
But see, your second point, people didn't dislike the movie because of their anti-feminist agenda as you want to imply with that comment. I'm sure some didn't because of that very reason, but just like those who like it because of that agenda, they're but a minority in the opinions of the film.
That's not what my second point was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
But as I've said: I'm no less a fan of this franchise for enjoying the parts of this movie, than someone who hated it because...Rey's elbows were too pointy for their taste.
Someone was used specifically to indicate that a person who holds that opinion about Rey's elbows is a non-majority member.
And we both agree that there are likely people out there who hold that opinion.

My second point was merely that I'm not less of a fan of this movie because I enjoyed part of it, just like that other Someone isn't any less of a fan for their objectification of Rey.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote