View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
But for sure something smells rotten. Maybe it has to do with guys being in the game longer. Women trying to catch up. Change isn’t comfortable. I don’t have answers. I just know NP is doing what she feels needs done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The interest is there, but women are either pushed out of their fields, credit stolen from them or fields that women excel in are usually seen as "lesser", until it gains some interest then guys will muscle their way in and "take over the joint".
"I'm a female director and I've been bullied out of directing stuff" or "I'm a female director that's more qualified than the guy the studio went with after I threw my name in the hat" -- where are all the stories about this? I've not seen any. You can be female and go to film school (or don't, but it's nice to) and put together a crew and start shooting independent movies (these are reflected in the numbers and yup, there is still only 13%)... there is nothing stopping this from happening on any level. And it does happen... just a lot less than with males, apparently. It'll change as we move forward, certainly, but it shouldn't be coming about because of some kind of artificial balance forced out of awards shows and certainly not studios.

And Patty Jenkins? She's not even the first female comic book movie director. She didn't, like, move mountains in Hollywood and fight her way to become the patron saint of female directors, or even necessarily deserve to be given a 150 million movie in the first place (go ahead, look at her IMDB). I'm fairly sure the discussion at WB were like, "Yeesh, look at the internets... we sure better find a female director out there to do this female-led movie or everyone is going to hate us and they already sort of hate us... I sure hope we can find someone moderately qualified." Oh, it's a gambit that paid off, for sure. My point is that the lesson to be learned shouldn't necessarily be, "Studios need to be forced to gamble! Equality!" It could have easily gone the other way. Equally untested Lexi Alexander directed "Punisher: War Zone" all the way back in 2008, and it bombed. Lana and Lilly Wachowski directed "Jupiter Ascending," which is basically like a comic book movie... another bomb. So I guess... Jenkins has the distinction of being the first female comic book movie director... to turn a profit? Well, I can understand how that doesn't sound nearly as prestigious.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.