View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #60
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's looking at being a teenager through a very human, very western lens. Don't. Growing up a teenager in a home with TV, school, school sports, popular kids, unpopular kids, "what do I wear today??", prom, etc., is quite different than growing up as a teenager in a sewer you've spent your whole life in, conditioned from almost birth by your "Dad" whose everyday main purpose is raising you to one day kill a man who is a master ninja. Most of the nonsense we equate to "average angsty teenagers" simply doesn't and cannot apply no matter how much various TMNT writers want it to ("I've always complained that the TMNT aren't like teenagers enough!!" blah blah).
I agree that when it gets over the top with the teenage stuff, it's grating and unnatural considering their circumstance. But I do think there's something to the turtles yearning for what they can't have.

Picture Mikey after getting his ass kicked in a training drill all day, beat up, walking the sewers to clear his head. He hears some teenagers talking above him, so he peeks out through the sewer. He sees them goofing off and having fun. You can read it on Mikey's face "I can't remember the last time my brothers and I laughed like that." I can appreciate the value of wanting to be happy, even if from birth it's been drilled into your head that your sole purpose for living is to kill this psychopath. A part of you must be thinking "Ok... And then what?" which raises their interest in having a "normal" life. Or whatever the closest thing they can get to it, being turtles living in a sewer
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote