View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Nintendo 64; I was old enough to appreciate the games yet I was still a kid. The best of both worlds. No amount of games or power will ever top the game system you played with kid eyes.

I grew up with the NES and SNES and finished my childhood with the N64. Gamecube and Wii in my teens and Wii U in my 20s.
I was born in 1990 but, thanks to having an older brother, I was playing NES, Game Boy, Genesis/Mega Drive, Saturn, Game Gear and SNES games before N64 ones. But yes, the Saturn/N64/PS1 generation was the first one I actually lived through... although I had NO IDEA what was going on and that the three were competing against each other, so it didn't matter much. I didn't get around the concept of "console wars" until about 2004 or so when I was the only kid in my class and possibly the entire school who owned a GameCube instead of a PS2 or even an Xbox, and thus got weird looks or mocked "haha that console sucks". Just like I had no idea the SNES and the Mega Drive were at war with each other until I began reading about the video game industry and its history around 2006-2007.

Yes, living through the Nintendo 64 was awesome. It's like one day I was playing Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, and the next day my brother gets home with this new console called Nintendo 64 and he pops Super Mario 64 into it... holy sh*t

Also, I didn't get the chance to play A link to the Past until 2002 or so, so my first Zelda was the first NES game and my second Zelda was Ocarina of Time. Imagine my reaction to that game as well

Oh, not Nintendo, but screw the haters. I'll ALWAYS have a soft spot for the Sega Saturn!
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote