View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

*sigh* Oh U.S....

I don't even know what to say at this point. Same story, different day, different school. Hope the injuries aren't life threatening.

I wish there was a better way for schools, friends, family, etc to in a sense red flag kids who are showing signs that something isn't right and then get them into something kind of like the Big Brothers Big Sisters of America program. Maybe a similar program in this country that willing good men could get involved to take on some seemingly troubled kid and help steer him in a better direction. And tailor it based on need, if a kid needs tough love/firm guidance OR if he needs a role model who will listen to him, sympathize, and help teach him better ways to handle rejection, etc. (And better yet if a guy is capable of both when appropriate and knows when either mode is needed.)

It's very sad that I just typed "list of school" into google and its first four suggestions all had the next word "shootings" or "shooter." (And another suggestion several down offered "massacres" instead.) Sure... I really was looking for a shootings list, and maybe it's a trending topic lately, but still. Fully half of what it suggested shouldn't have to be about murderous attacks on children when looking for basic school info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
As for mental illness, I wonder if it's because healthcare costs a lot of money in your country, which means a lot of people don't get diagnosed or just get diagnosed by the time it's a bit too late?
Partly cost, but also partly access, and partly sigma. It's a fault many people are not going to want to admit, and seeking help is a form of admittance.

Even if someone has insurance that will cover it, the insurance company is still also very likely to decide you can only have THIS many visits with the therapist, which very well may not be anywhere near the amount some people need. They might limit what medications they cover. They might cover a psychologist, but not a psychiatrist...

Esp if someone is on Medicaid. Some states have a great program, but others are very bare bones and lacking. Someone who is too mentally ill to hold down a job is probably likely to be on Medicaid which may offer very little OR have nothing and lack any medical assistance all together, so then you've got some of the people who may MOST need treatment not getting anything at all.

As for school and work... well, like anywhere that's going to vary depending on the environment of any given place. I've had both good and bad in terms of both school and work environments.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-25-2018 at 12:12 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote