View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

I think I've said this before and call me crazy but... I've always felt TMNT and Sailor Moon shared a few core similarities. Of course there's lots of differences between both, but I see some similarities:

- The main characters start off as teenagers. The girls in Sailor Moon are about 14-15 when the whole thing begins;

- Both properties start off as comic books, but they only become mainstream when their first animation series' come out;

- The first animated series of both properties still remain their most popular incarnations/peak of the properties popularity;

- The main characters differ a bit in personality in the first animated series compared to their source material. In the case of TMNT, Raphael is radically different in the FW series from Mirage Raph. In the case of Sailor Moon, Rei Hino/Sailor Mars is also pretty different in the 90s anime series from her manga version. In the manga she is serious, calm and collected and doesn't let any man get close to her, really. In the anime she is more hyper, temperamental and boy crazy. And also bickers with Usagi/Sailor Moon while in the manga they're fine with each other and Rei bickers with Minako/Venus instead... reminds me of Raph and Mike somewhat.

- Comparison between characters:

Donatello - Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Both are tech savy and nerds
Michelangelo - Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Both are good fighters but also immature and love video games and are kinda airheaded/scatterbrained
Raphael - First anime version of Sailor Mars/Rei Hino - Both are kinda temperamental and. Rei is also a bit antisocial and distant in the manga just like Raph is in many versions.
Leonardo - Eh... tough one here. The leader of the group is Usagi/Moon and she certainly isn't similar to Leonardo. Minako/Venus technically qualifies as a leader as well and she's quite different from him as well. I guess Rei/Mars would be close considering she's the most stereotypically Japanese of the girls.

Ofc both properties are quite different overall and there's no such thing as perfect comparisons. I'm not saying they're carbon copies of each other by any means, but there's some similarities, imo.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote