View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm not sure plurk is the example you want to use to prove your point, that's about as niche as you can get and a twitter clone that its most notability was when it was mentioned on TWiT many moons ago, I forgot that was even a thing, it was only in my radar for about a week.

I'm not saying you can't have good discussions in other places but the problem is other sites are not designed for it. I have seen many good discussions on Reddit for example that because of the way the comments system works a lot of great discussion is lost.

What made Forums a better alternative to chat rooms was because things were archived and discussions weren't lost forever and this way people could easily find them. In other places these discussions are too messy to follow and get lost easily so they're often asked again and again while on forums it doesn't happen as much as many can easily search.

I do think forums should evolve as the current format makes it difficult to follow threads that are too big and it's not as easy to use as say twitter. But as forums continue to die many discussions like the ones we have about continuity here and we've had many great ones will be forever lost in inferior ways of communicating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
If those basement-dwelling nerds weren't such insufferable Gatekeepers, maybe their main form of communication wouldn't be going the way of the dodo.
In their defense Gatekeepers are what made the internet a more reputable place back then, now anyone can share FAKE news because of the lack of gatekeepers and look all the trouble it has caused.

Pussyfying the internet is not doing anyone favors, back in my day, you had to walk ten miles to get to internet school to get trolled and having no safe space.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote