View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #67
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I've read David say a lot of crap on Facebook but with TMNT I cut him some slack because he was treated pretty badly for nine years by the studios and never got much recognition for what he achieved in those years. Writers back then didn't receive the same celebrity status they do now and I guess he quite rightly felt cheated more because he grew to like the show he worked on.
Leo as the leader, Raph as the "jerk", Mike as the playful one, and Don as the tech-wiz were still established in the Mirage issues that Wise had to work with. It's one thing to want his credit as the main writer for a particularly popular version of TMNT, but to try to usurp the actual TMNT creators, or take credit for TMNT as a whole is quite another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
yet if it was not for this series, tmnt would be dead past issue 15 tops.
I don't believe that at all. Again, FW TMNT only exists in the first place because the Mirage comic was a surprise hit and that got Playmates and MWS attention. If the Mirage comic was a flop they wouldn't have made a cartoon out of it. (Not saying the cartoon didn't amplify that success to an insane degree, just saying the comic was successful to begin with)

If I'm not mistaken though, what made the original Mirage fans abandon the book was the "guest era". Some good stories came from that era (Soul's Winter rules), but so did just as many bad ones and it all went on for way too long. I realize Eastman and Laird were too busy on the licensing end to write and draw issues, but there was probably a better way to handle that (like letting Lawson/Berger/Murphy/etc. handle the main comic and saving the guest stories for a separate anthology book or something).

Back on topic: Whatever you think of the show itself, FW TMNT did have some sweet background music.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote