View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

As a child of the 80s and early 90s, I can get very nostalgic for that time, and I do think a "throwback special" once in a while taking place in that era would be cool (for the same reason a Batman or Superman movie taking place in the 40s would be kind of cool). But, I don't think it would be the right path for the new big theatrical release.

I'm not denying that "80s grit" is a big part of the "classic era's (Mirage, FW, Archie, 1990 movie)" charm, but that kind of grit is hard to recreate and they might not pull it off right. And, the newer sleeker 4kids and Nick TMNT shows proved TMNT can still be done well without that element.

And, more importantly they also proved that TMNT isn't just some "dead fad" from our youth, but an evergreen franchise that can be reborn again and again. To do that, it has to appeal to new generations, and stay relevant. Again, much like how Superman and Batman movies usually aren't set in the 30s/40s.

A made-for-DVD movie aimed at older fans would be a better place for that kind of "period piece". Honestly, I think a line of animated DTV movies set in different continuities would be the answer to a lot of our TMNT wishes.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote