View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #163
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I didn't see anything in those articles explicitly saying that vinyl records are flat-out outselling CDs. It could be a situation where, in 2015, you sell 1 record for every 10 CDs, but in 2016, 2 records for every 5 CDs. Sales are increasing and decreasing respectively in that scenario, but CDs are still the better-selling format.

There was an "incident" a year ago though wherein a Bernard Herrmann score - Twisted Nerve - was released on vinyl only. Well actually it was a vinyl/CD/digital download set all in one package, which everyone thought was ridiculous. I don't know how well the release did, but it gave the company - Stylotone - a bit of a bad rep in the film score community. People here are die-hard turtle fans and if the music is released on some weird format, they'll buy it. Other people won't. Film score geeks are very comfortable with CDs and even digital downloads, but in a time where complete scores are released every single month on 2+CD sets, I don't think many want to return to vinyl.

Now granted there are some scores that do well on vinyl. LLL, Intrada, and even Varese have tried their luck and I think it's generally paid off, provided they choose the titles carefully. I think Star Trek: The Motion Picture on vinyl was a knockout for LLL, for instance.
A TMNT score will be going after a far different audience than Bernard Herman.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote