View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Well, they've been changing who the turtle are since the very first time they were "adapted" from comics, to be fair. The OT turtles are not the Mirage turtles, after all. The precedent was set early, unfortunately. While we have so many variations now, really, they're mostly caricatures of the Fred Wolf standard anyway.

I'd say that's pretty much how it goes with most properties, dude. Like, for real. I'm no wrestling fan, but I am well aware that the field is riddled with gimmicks, celebrities, & these days, animated features that introduce unscrupulous muscle men as bumbling would-be heroes alongside children's cartoon characters. You've got genderbends at Marvel, we had that "extreme" phase in the 90's, things like Looney Tunes & Muppets becoming sitcoms, it's par the course. If there is anything unique about that process in how TMNT is approached, it could be due to how they are products of their time. The "teenage" side of them has to be updated to align more with the then-modern youth, & the many pop culture references they spew for comedic effect must also match up. Naturally, as fans get older, they'll relate less to it. I dunno.
I know... and I realize the TMNT today aren't as they were in Mirage, where they supposedly didn't differ from each other all that much (I've still not yet dug into it - one of these days, I do already own the first collective volume), but at least after over 30 years it feels (at least to me) like a progressive franchise-wide slow development as to who they are as characters. (In which 'Rise' seems to be content with taking that and throwing a wrench at it, and a large box of rusty screws and bolts for that matter.)

I welcome continued development over time, in ways that suit them each. Not so much in deciding to up and throw away who any of them has become over the last 34 years. PD had enough issues... I would not prefer to see them decide to take a cue from 'Rise' in terms of film handling.

All the things you listed though... ugh. Taken together, it's kind of sad. Just being pimped out for attention. "Am I pretty enough again??" Like watching Paris Hilton try to reclaim public attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
If Deadpool, AntMan, and Aquaman can get huge movies, so can the TMNT!
With them making friends with DC these days, at the moment I sorta just wish the Turtles could be a part of one of their films, if their own people can't handle making a good one for them. Unless DC is outright allowed to handle one for them.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-26-2018 at 07:09 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote