View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #14
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

I like it (within the context of the comics) for the above stated reasons, splitting the difference between the common rat and mutated man origins for Splinter, gives weight to the Splinter/Shredder feud, etc.

I think it plays more into the Turtles personality than that though. The Turtles have always been Splinter’s sons, but now they are literally his sons. Sons he saw die in front of him. It also gives Teng Shen a larger role, as now she is their mother, and that aspect has come into play many times, like when Leo was brainwashed and when Donatello nearly died.

How much different, for good or for ill, this angle would have felt for me if they had gone ahead with the idea of Leo being Shredder’s biological son...I don’t know.

Something that I should mention: It lends a mystical aspect to the Ooze (we see it with Shredder’s first death, binding his soul to his body) as well. Don’t forget, Krang and the Utroms have a connection to ancient Japan as well! There may eventually be more of the Ooze’s soul binding abilities in the future.