View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #47
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

I laughed, a lot. That's a good thing, in general. However, a lot of the time it felt like it was focusing so hard on being funny that it lacked in other areas.

For example, Splinter seems lame. Make no mistake; I don't like it when Splinter is made out to be flawless, and I actually like him funny, but I still feel Splinter's humor should come from him having a sharp mind that's good at making a joke. But here Splinter IS the joke. I don't expect him to be a lazy couch potato all the time, but is that really the introduction we get?

Also, does April just have a delusion of being a dog? Is there a reason her reaction to danger is trying and failing to maul her opponents with her teeth, when so many more effective ways of fighting should be apparent? I'm all for comedy, but getting it from this characterization makes no sense. It's not stereotypical, it's not humanly dumb; it's just plain random, and why, of all people, is their human friend doing that outlandish stuff?

Let's talk about the action, in general, which for a show this heavy on it is also talk about animation. This show reminds me of Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt, or more recently, OK K.O.!: Let's be Heroes. Characters change shape in motion, constantly, and I'm not sure I like that style. I think the problem I have with this is that characters who look made of rubber don't sell action as well as more solid ones; when they attack they don't seem powerful, and when they get attacked it doesn't seem like it hurts. Then there's the pacing: I don't want to seem disrespectful to people who obviously work hard to animate all this, and I don't know how common this opinion is, but to me, action that happens too quickly might as well not be happening at all. It's just a bunch of fluctuating color and patterns almost too hard to follow, and while I'm not saying it gives me seizures, the characters might as well be dancing at a disco rather than fighting. Stuff like this really makes me appreciate what 3d models and freeze-frame fighting did for this franchise.

Last edited by Konchadunga; 07-20-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote