View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #39
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I’m not sure why people think CGI is lazy. You don’t just feed your footage into a computer, push the big red button, and go play golf for the rest of the day.

As for topping TMNT 1990… it won’t happen in this climate. As some people have already said, it would take some passion for both TMNT and filmmaking. I don’t think Steve Barron was necessarily the biggest Turtles fan in the world, but he was definitely tuned into the style, and he knew what he wanted to make and how to do it.

Nowadays, movies aren’t made by directors; they’re made by studio executives. For the most part, directors don’t have a lot of power under the current system, and that’s deliberate. Have you ever wondered why they keep hiring indi directors with one or two films under their belt, and let them direct 200 million dollar tent-pole movies? Because they don’t have any power, or influence, and they’ll do as they’re told or get their asses handed to them.

I don’t think you can make a better movie than TMNT 1990 without a clear vision, and someone who is allowed to make decisions based on what is best for the film, rather than the concerns of toymakers, network execs, and angry nerds.