Thread: Smallville
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 06:07 AM   #37
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Welling was an amazing young Clark Kent and Eric Durance was perfect as Lois (not to mention extremely hot). Lionel was a great character and Michael Rosenbaum is by far the best live action Lex Luthor.
Welling is one of those actors that I think plays this version of the character perfectly. I'm not sure if I could see him actually pull off Superman though. Guess we'll never know

Erica was amazing. It's funny how the fanbase were so crazy against her at first since a) they didn't want Lois in Smallville at all in the first place and b) the popular fan theory was that Chloe would turn out being Lois Lane all along.

The Luthors were the best part of Smallville. (Well, maybe not Lutessa or the clone of Julian, but, y'know )

Quote:
The show could have been a little cheesy at times and yeah, Lana was an awful and annoying character but the show actually had lots of great stories and plenty of stand out episodes like Rosetta, Memoria, Reckoning, Legion, Pandora, and Homecoming, just to name a few.
I already posted my defence of Lana in another thread but I also completely understand everyones annoyance with her.

Nice list of episodes! Memoria and Homecoming are tied as my favourites, though maybe Homecoming gets the win if only because since Lex's mind-wipe makes the bulk of Memoria's storytelling completely pointless.

Quote:
As much as I enjoyed the early stuff, I never understood what was so bad about the later stuff. I actually really liked how the show started exploring more familiar Superman material. Sure, it was very unfaithful to source material but it's a damn TV show.
I don't think people thought the later stuff was bad, but it was a pretty drastic change of tone for the series. They seemed to be very shy about embracing the more "out there" concepts from the comics in the earlier seasons to suddenly outright embracing them.

For example, in Season 4, Mxyzptlk went from looking like this...
to this...

Whereas in the later seasons, "out there" characters like Hawkman didn't go through nearly as much of a make over:
And that's just the visuals. Mxyzptlk went from being a 5th Dimensional Imp with seemingly limitless power to a foreign exchange student poor man's Kilgrave. And yeah, while there's a lot to celebrate and enjoy about them embracing the comic goodness, it does end up losing a bit of its identity by doing so.

Quote:
It's either that or more made up crap like season 4.
Aw, poor Season 4 It's funny. I remember how much people hated on it (myself included) as it was airing but in retrospect I find it's one of the more enjoyable seasons because its so freaking strange. It's like they couldn't go more than 1 episode without some kind of possession/body swap/personality change episode. Off the top of my head, there's Lana switching with Isabella throughout the season, Lionel pretending to play a changed man, Lex/Alex in Onyx, Lois and Chloe being witches in Spell, Clark having amnesia in Blank, Lionel and Clark switching bodies in Transference, the Prom Queen possessing Lana/Chloe/Clark in Spirit, Clark being brainwashed Kal-El in Crusade, Lana/Chloe/Jason under a love potion in Devoted, Red K Clark in Unsafe... there's probably more but that's just off the top of my head. So yeah, it's a great re-watch season thats gotten better with age but when you watch it immediately following the dark drama that was Season 3 its a huge tonal whiplash.

Last edited by Krutch; 06-02-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote