View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Shred87
Hench Mutant

You started in the correct spot.... get all five (i think) volumes of the ultimate collection. That is the main starting point. The thing with the original comic is that its not necessarily all connected and different authors took a shot at doing different things with the franchise and that’s why some of the mirage issues kind of seem out of place or not connected or look different.... the ultimate volumes essentially tell the original story for the franchise and everything after that is either based on or expanded from this original story.

Other than that its really up to you, and depending on taste, people will have very different opinions... Keep this in mind there are essentially 5 volumes of TMNT when it comes to comics

Vol 1: Grab the rest of the ultimate collection and grab “tales of TMNT” collection and your covered

vol 2: had about a year(ish) run and then ended... IMO not essential

Vol 3: produced by IMAGE... IDW is actually rereleasing these as we speak and is going to end the series (there was no official conclusion to the series)... this is a bit more extreme and is somewhat considered an “else worlds” universe as the turtles go through dramatic changes... It is being re-released now under the TMNT: Urban Legends title...maybe 13 issues have been released so if interested jump on that

Vol 4: not really my favorite... seems to be kind of forgotten since IDW started...had a 32 issue run and a longer “Tales of TMNT” run.... I don’t believe these are collected...IMO hold off on this vol

IDW: current run now and one of my favorites with vol 1.... invest in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The IDW Collection.... massive trades that collect everything.... i believe there are 9 volumes out right now.... this will catch you up with the current universe

Others... Archie comics has a cult following that is based on the Fred Wolf cartoon but with a more serious tone... they are collected in trades

Now in my official non professional opinion I’d start with the IDW and Ultimate Mirage trades immediately....since vol 3 is being rereleased jump on that with the Urban Legends series and you’ll be in pretty good shape... others will have different opinions but i think that is a solid start...catch up on the current storyline and read the OG one... good luck and have fun!
Shred87 is offline   Reply With Quote