View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
retrohead
Random Punk

I agree with Shred87 it's best to start with the original series via the IDW ultimate editions. Yes the Ultimate eds are in black and white only. Pretty sure only the "colour classic" softback trades reprinted the re-coloured versions but I could be wrong on that.

Not only are the Mirage comics contained in the ultimate editions arguably some of the best TMNT comics it's also the source material and some of the differences between the cartoons and the original comics will be fascinating if you've never read them before. My favourite issues are the ones that Eastman and Laird worked on but there are plenty of good stories by other writers and artists in there too.

Just a small correction to what Shred said, there are actually six volumes of the ultimate editions so grab those as well as Tales of the TMNT and you've got everything of importance for the "first run". While there are issues missed trust me you're not missing out on much, a lot of the issues omitted from the ultimate editions are quite disposable and I say that as someone who owns every single original issue of the Mirage series.

The ultimate editions are also a good place to start because of the size and quality of the editions and the fact it has all the bonus material.
retrohead is offline   Reply With Quote