View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In the SmackDown series in particular it's PAINFUL to play as wrestlers who use submission moves since it requires you to mash buttons and that is really tiresome. It's a shame, since that means not playing as Jericho or Kurt Angle.
They changed that. I'm only up to 2K16 but up to that one you have to rotate the analog sticks to apply or reverse Submissions. A little meter pops up with two bars; one is blue, the other is red, and they move either clockwise or counter-clockwise as each player rotates the Right analog stick. If you're applying the hold, you try and cover the opponent's bar with yours, gradually making the meter turn your color; if it fills up, they tap out. If you're trying to escape, you try and NOT let the bars touch, essentially playing Keep-Away, making the meter again gradually fill up in your color until you escape.

It's not at all perfect, but it actually works MUCH better than button mashing for submissions, and successfully creates a back-and-forth struggle that can be quite enjoyable and very true-to-life. However, applying holds drains your Stamina very quickly, and if your opponent has a high Submission rating it can be murder to make them tap even if they're "dead". It forces you to play more strategically, which is fine. And it makes actually getting that Submission win extremely satisfying.

Even getting to the ropes and grabbing them for a Rope Break has been improved; rather than button mash, a wrestler will kind of just crawl towards the ropes as long as they have Stamina left, and if they have the appropriate Skill for Rope Breaks they will physically reach out and grab the rope to force a break - which the referee can actually miss on occasion! I've had some fun wins come when my opponent clearly grabbed the ropes on a pin or submission and the ref was in a position to not see it, which is not only funny but astonishingly realistic.

So yeah, there really isn't any button mashing left in the engine. At least up to 2K16. They fixed a lot of the gameplay stuff.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote