View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #16038
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
WWE (or at least Vince) is never gonna give up. For some reason they have it in their mind that Roman Reighs IS the face of the company.
Oh, I didn't say they were going to give up on him, more the point that having Roman beat Brock for the title now is pointless, because he looks like a goober compared to Brock, especially after he talked such a big game. But give up? No, I'm sure they won't. But then, I was sure Roman was taking the title at Wrestlemania and then the Greatest Royal Rumble, so honestly, what the hell do I know?

But honestly, I think the main reason they don't just give up on him entirely is a bit more practical. They want a guy to replace Cena and Roman's the only one who ticks every box they have, plus I think they don't want to admit to themselves that they squandered a once in a lifetime guy who probably should have been the most over star in the company while simultaneously ticking all of those boxes. The only other guy they've got is Braun, who doesn't have Romans looks and build (Braun's got a build McMahon historically loves, but it's not the Sammartino/Hogan/Austin/Rock/Cena build). Everyone else with the face heat they want or the marketability are in their forties or a step away from it and they can't just keep Cena in the spot anymore because he's in his forties now and part time, given Hollywood's come knocking.

Quote:
I assume years from now when they do those history packages, they're gonna show Cena, The Rock, Stone Cold and Roman Reigns will be included as if he was one of the faces of the company, despite the fact that noone wanted it and he was booed all the time.
Well, they kind of have to now. Failure or not, whether we hated him or not, he has been the face of the company for the past four years. They made him that way. Giving up on him doesn't change that, it just makes him a failed face of the company. But they've still given him a Hall of Fame career in four years, even if the accolades are asterisked. He's a three time WWE champion, but combined they barely equal three months with the belt. He's a former Intercontinental champion, but he held the belt for two months. He's a former United States champion with what's hilariously his second longest title reign at three months and change, but none of it was memorable. His best title reign is his tag title run with Rollins from the glory days of the Shield when they never put on a bad match, which came before they decided he'd be the overpowered company face. He's thusly a Grand Slam winner. He won a Royal Rumble. He main evented four straight Wrestlemanias, even if he got booed out of the building every time.

It's partly pride that'll have him in the video packages, but also simply the fact that he is an important part of company history now, even if a bad part, that you kind of can't just wash away without some kind of real life thing necessitating that you wash them away.