View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #97
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Conway said "everything up to BND" happened, so maybe the public unmasking and OMD also occurred but Peter just turned down the offer.
How would that work, since the Parkers were essentially fugitives at the end of the pre-OMD run? Granted, they could've been pardoned, or maybe they got Doctor Strange to do his forget spell, or something.

However, if they want to keep the secret identity thing in check (which seems possible, given that the Parkers seem to be living without the fame or infamy that would come from being a publicly known superhero, based on what we've seen), the simplest explanation would be assume that Peter never unmasked in Civil War and that his aunt died for other reasons, if she's not in the picture.

I don't know for sure, but since they're feeling free to reimagine the villains, is it possible that this includes events in the past? The description they provided of how stuff ties to 616 seemed vague enough I couldn't tell if they were stating that everything that happened in pre-OMD happened exactly as written, of if they were generalizing when saying that RYV replaces "Brand New Day."

Quote:
This would make the most sense given all the teasing Marvel have been making in the main books to remind people of Mephisto's existence, it's possible this is to prepare them for something in the first issue of RYV that deals with him.
Or they could be setting up something for 616. If I understand things correctly, Peter is not having much success running said company and his step-father is dying from some medical problem that he's been looking into curing. That's vaguely similar to the circumstances that lead up to OMD in the first place.

Now, I don't know what Dan Slott's plans are for the future, but I could see him and/or Marvel choosing to take things full-circle ten years after OMD and have Mephisto make a second offer (regardless of whether Peter would accept it or not). If Marvel or Slott wants to get rid of Parker Industries and reset Peter to his normal life, a second deal would be one way to do it.

Quote:
Then again, when promoting the first series, Nick Lowe said everything up to BND happened and it was evidently a completely different sort of story and setting.
Sure, RYV was marketed as a revisiting of OMD and officially billed as the "What if the Parkers' said 'No'?" issue to the story. While that wasn't exactly true, there's an interesting piece of trivia about that. Within the RYV story, there's an eight-year gab between the first and second issues. That's the same year gap between OMD and RYV being published. So, there is a figurative connection, in the sense that if you put the comic together as published in real time, RYV would replace "Brand New Day" and the like.

Quote:
There's mention that certain other events in 616 afterwards occurred differently...how much of that is unknown, but perhaps there was no "Original Sin" and thus no discovery of Cindy Moon/Silk? Assuming Cindy existed at all in this reality.
Yeah, we'll have to see if they were planning to take later established info abut the past, or in the sense that comics published after OMD don't need to count, even if they influence pre-OMD.

Quote:
They would have to skirt past the issues with the horny phermone attraction the two had in 616.
If they had Silk in it, I suppose they could just establish that the characters tried to circumnavigate it, since Peter isn't a free agent here.

Last edited by WebLurker; 09-18-2016 at 12:13 AM.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote