View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #126
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I don't understand why people think this was disrespectful to the 80s turtles, if anything it glorified them.
A big part of it is that the Nick turtles here acted like the 4kids turtles. Barring Mikey, they came off as if they were totally serious alllll the time. I mean, come on, they shoot sewer lids & garbage balls at their enemies, fight with food, use junk/clutter/environmental hazards to their benefit, run around in plain sight, etc. Tactics no different than the Fred Wolf turtles. But then they go & make their predecessors look like dopes for doing the same. & now they not only don't know how to fight, but have to be trained by these guys? C'mon, son. I get the joke, but there's a certain arrogance to it that I'm not entirely sure they've earned. Turtles Forever's treatment of this sorta thing felt a lot more justified because their universe was more serious, a Mirage offshoot which didn't really have any wackiness in it. Of course they'd be less tolerant of the happy-go-lucky characters/actions, & find humor in contrasting the two series' different tones. The Nick series on the other hand is a lot more similar to the Fred Wolf one than it thinks it is, if you ask me. That's not to say I don't love this version, it's my favorite of all the animated shows, but this particular arc didn't sit right with me on a whole.

Like Jester said, they couldn't even get through an homage to the opening sequence without making a fool of Michelangelo. We know he's got lightning fast hands which can bat away most projectiles, but here he can't even manage a few bean-bags? It's like revisionist history.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote