View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Which fiction clichés do you like and dislike? This applies to any fiction (books, stageplays, films, TV series, musicals, operas or whatever).

I dislike

*In seafaring adventure films, it's always pirates who have hookarms and wooden legs. Why can't it be a seaman from a merchant ship seriously wounded in fight against pirates? Also dislike pirates using ships with broken sails.

*Science fiction:

Spacecraft flying like aeroplanes through outer space.

Spaceflight terms being indentical to water transport (spacecraft called spaceships or ships, fleets, space pirates to much based on stereotypical seafaring pirates).

Short distances between minor-planets and planetoids.

Extraterrestrials in disguise having already been on Earth for a long time, and speed up evolution (don't care if it's just some years like Utroms not doing anything such, worse with all time the Kraang claim to have been on Earth).

Early-humans coexisting with dinosaurs. There are no scientific proof for that.

Wrong animal and nature at wrong place (tigers in African countries, lions in India or penguins in the Arctic and polar bears in Antarctica)

Second World War: Fascists from Germany and Italy escape to the Moon or Mars in a spacecraft

Alternate history: CSA wins, still in 2017 slaveships cross the oceans (slavery would probably be over by 1880, then just some discrimination like what we saw in the southern USA).
I don't have examples specific to movies or books. But words and phrases in general that are annoying to me. Even if I have used them in the past. So they might apply to your "whatever" category.

Dislike:
-Epic
-Ominous
-Disrupt the market
-When you have lemons, make lemonade
-Transparent
-game changer

Like:
-a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
-the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence
-wicked good
-cool (it's classic and will always work)

If I think about it I'm sure I could come up with several more in both "like" and "dislike" sections.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote