View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
This reminded me of something... what about old pictures? Not many years, having physical copies of your pictures was the standard. Unless you lost them in a fire or threw them into the trash by accident, you'd never lose them. Nowadays with people mostly taking digital photos, once your SD cards or wherever you keep your photos die or malfunction your pictures are gone forever.

And the further you go in the past, photos are rarer. I think I could count on two hands the photos I have of my grandmother when she was under 30 years old. I guess cameras back then(20s, 30s and 40s) were only owned by photographers or upper middle class people. But old photos are interesting and have some class to them I cannot explain. Which makes me wonder, when people of today get old and have grandchildren, what sort of photos of their grandparents will people find in 50 years from now? Pictures of your 19 year old grandmother doing duckface or with a dog face and ears filter?
Fortunately, my family has been pretty good about hanging onto photos, particularly from my mother's side. We've got a bunch of my grandparents when they were younger and at least a handful that includes my grandmother's parents.

Fun fact... we've even got at least a few of those old "tintype" metal photos, popular in the late-ish 1800s.

I still use a regular digital camera and maybe once a year or so end up saving everything on it onto the computer and onto disc. I'm sure someday there will be discs AND (on the chance those in the future can't view the discs) some printed photos in the box with all the others from prior generations. But NO duckface! lol Or any of that nonsense.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote