View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #72
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Thank you for sharing that interesting fact with me.

Iím sorry to say this, but the basic assortments to the original Playmates toyline were disjointed from the very first wave of figures. The 1988 Foot Soldier action figure was one of the very first cartoony looking action figures to come out of the Ď80s, if Iím not mistaken. The statue-like appearance of the 1988 Foot Soldier separates it from the other figures, also. I always thought characters like Genghis Frog and Ace Duck in the second wave were horrible additions to the line, but no one then (myself included) knew what to expect from the original Playmates toyline when it was in itsí infant years. The third and last wave of 1989 was much more of an improvement over second set of figures.

Hereís how I see it, really:

1988 - 1989: Good action figure line (not the best, but not bad)
1990 - mid Ď91: The original toyline is still somewhat in the safe zone.
Late Ď91 - mid Ď97: The first Playmates line takes the plunge completely by catering to children exclusively.
Well, toys are made for children. Was it the endless variant subsets? As a kid all through those years I much preferred basic line figures.

I take it that it was He-Man as the big thing then Transformers as the big thing then Ninja Turtles as the big thing. I often wondered if TMNT was the biggest among the phenomeons.

Colin, thanks for such an interesting topic.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote