View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The face of fandom is changing, and the format of its organization has to change with it.

It's not all in one place because it doesn't have to be, which is nice because it shouldn't be.
Except it's the exact opposite, it's the mainstreamification of fandom which has come since geek culture became "cool". Fandoms are becoming less "hardcore" and more casual which might be fine for some but basement dwelling nerds are a dying breed and that's sad.

Change is good but here we're seeing eliminating "deeper" discussions on our favorite things in exchange for the equivalent of youtube comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
While I can see why people would prefer talking on Reddit than in a message board, why would ANYONE want to have lengthy discussions on facebook? Doesn't seem so practical to me and you can't even quote.

Dunno if message boards will ever go away for good. I mean, remember when chat rooms were big? Well nowadays there's services like Discord. Technically Discord counts as a chat program, doesn't it? And I was surprised to hear many people still used IRC. So forums will just have to evolve and adapt to modern times. Reddit could technically be considered a message board.

See my reply to plastroncafe, instead of people joining nerdy places to have lengthy discussions they're joining these casual places to talk about the stuff that they like. We won't have as many "hardcore" fans anymore.

Of course message boards will continue to exist but chatrooms is not analogy, they're dead and used by very few people, it's not like it was in the mid 90s.

You can't have the same level of discussion on places like Reddit as a real forum.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote