View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #24
thebrownranger
Stone Warrior

I’ve always stood by New York in the 80’s/90’s being the definitive time setting of TMNT. No other era has proven to work better for the turtles than this. Steve Barron’s 1990 portrayal continues to solidify this point to this day. In that film we got to see the turtles live and breathe in an era of New York that most people will unfortunately never fully understand/know about anymore. Just thinking about it reminds me of all the old New York hardcore/punk rock and old school hip hop scenes that were so indicative of that age. I miss it a lot because it’s something I grew up on. Watch all those old NYHC/hip hop documentaries; you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s really sad to see all that history/culture swept away due to things like gentrification and systemic political issues. It’s even a lot more sad to see rich out of towners and hipsters moving into NY, gentrifying the whole damn block/culture and moving people who were born and raised there that have called it HOME their whole lives out to other places. It’s hard to think of TMNT in a modern gentrified New York without making me sick to my stomach. It just doesn’t feel genuine. I don’t care much for this forum anymore, but this thread was worth finding and posting to.
Playmates TMNT statues- Donatello, Michelangelo
thebrownranger is offline   Reply With Quote