View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #29
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
2) Turtles will have all red bandanas, confusing kids
That's assuming a TMNT #1 adaptation would be in color, though, which isn't really a given. One could argue that being black and white is an essential part of that first issue's aesthetic--Turtles Forever certainly thought so--and that making an adaptation in color would be just as point-missing as...well, giving them multi-colored bandannas.

Which is the point I'm making, in the end. If the point is to get the Mirage book as it is, into film, you end up with a film that no one but diehards will appreciate. On the other hand, if the idea is to make an awesome film that is based on the story outlined in that issue and takes full advantage of the new medium, then any translation would involve a lot of changes, additions and alterations, raising the question of just how many alterations y'all are willing to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimorphic View Post
So here is you're view of the story, edited into how I see the comic, and what it could be:

It is the story of a man, consumed by vengeance. He knowingly adopts innocent children, training them from "birth" to be deadly assassinsfor over 15 years. His only one goal: Kill my masters enemy. The Children, who have been sheltered from the world their entire lives, and are still just "boy's", can't possibly understand what is being asked of them. Without hesitation, they blindly attack their fathers enemy. As the story unfolds, it becomes clear that, the revenge their father seeks may not be justified. In the end, the children have have blood on their hands, and with their innocence lost, are left with more questions than answers.

So far it sounds great to me. Not a happy ending, and not a Fred Wolf story, but interesting man vs nature vs himself. The Turtles in this story aren't interested in saving the world, or helping people. They are children who don't know the consequences of their actions, and that I think is as relevant now as it was when it was written.
And that may in fact be a quite interesting story. But here's the thing: it wouldn't be TMNT, Vol. 1 #1, which stops just after the Shredder is killed, doesn't deal at all with the ethics or morality of the events that transpire, and doesn't allow the turtles enough character to actually question their actions. It'd be something different, which brings me back to the point that what y'all say you want and what you actually want are two different things. Or alternatively, that you want one product to do two mutually exclusive jobs.

The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote