View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #75
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I guess for me, I don’t have a problem with the actual amendment, I guess, but I do feel that it’s terribly outdated and seriously needs to be updated. At the time it was originally set up, jt made sense that the country had the right to form an organized, militia to protect everyone from actual invaders. I don’t own a gun and never have and neither has anyone in my immediate family. In all honesty, outside of Walmart, I’ve never even seen a gun. Never fired one, etc. I just don’t feel there’s a need for it and feel that the country needs better gun laws…how to go about that…I dunno. I still do feel that the US has an unnatural obsession with them.

Hm, this topic got me thinking to how the gun laws are here in Japan. It’s a very extensive process, which is probably why gun ownership is so low here.

First and foremost, you have to be at least 18 to put in for a gun license. One of the requirements is to state a legit, and genuine reason why you want to own a firearm, like if you want to hunt or I guess if you’re a collector. You also have to do an extensive background check, which includes a mental health check and if you have any addictions. I guess if you’re an alcoholic, maybe you’re rejected or something. I never did ask what could disqualify you regarding “addictions”, but I’ll assume drug addiction. I also think you need a reference and I’m pretty sure that you have to take classes focusing on proper gun use, storage, safety, etc.

The gun license has to be renewed every two or three years, iirc, which means the mental health check and stuff again. Also, every gun sold by shops (and I think the same goes for ammo) has to be in a public registry.

Maybe that’s why gun fatalities are so low here. I guess it’s too easy to trace it back to the owner if used as, to my knowledge, your local police department has a record of gun owners in their jurisdiction. I only say that about those who actually you know, kill people, but seems knives are the thing here where that’s concerned.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote