View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #25
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I'm not really intro horror movies. My main problem with them is that most of them usually try to disturb, scare or just, well, horrify you instead of simply telling a good story with horrifying elements. It also doesn't help that when I was a kid horror films utterly terrified me...and my Mom and sister couldn't get enough of them. Whenever we'd go to the video rental store I'd always say something like "Can we get the Lion King?" My Mom and sister would just stare at each other for a brief second before saying something like "Let's get Child's Play instead.". So that was always my family movie night, watching something that would give me nightmares and make me terrified and/or paranoid. To top it all off, my Mom would send us to bed RIGHT after watching whatever new or old terror I had been exposed to...with the lights off. I couldn't even just go off and play by myself because during my young days all my toys were kept in the same room as the TV. So my only option was to watch something that I'd regret or go into another room all by myself with nothing to do. Always hated when we would rent a movie, only consolation was that I got to rent a video game...which I couldn't play until the next day because of the movie.

However, I really like older horror movies like the Universal Monsters films like Dracula, etc. The Bride of Frankenstein is probably my favorite horror movie. The most "modern" horror series that I often think about is the Evil Dead series. Just something about them has never left me. Maybe it's seeing Ash's character progress through the trilogy, maybe it's because Army of Darkness is a lot of fun to watch. Or maybe it's because, I kid you not, I got so scared during a jump scare in the first one that I had an out of body experience. But for whatever reason I often think about watching them again, I've still not seen all of Evil Dead 2 because I closed my eyes and covered my ears through most of it. Hey, I wasn't even in the third grade yet, give me a break!