View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #16763
Leo656
The Franchise

My wife is the world's biggest Undertaker fan/apologist.

She texted me while I was at work to tell me the match was dog sh*t and those guys should never be in the same ring again (or shouldn't have to begin with). Which is what I've been saying for weeks.

You CAN'T book a babyface vs. babyface match between two guys who never sell and "can't lose". Not 20 years ago in their prime, not now, not ever. You can't book that kind of match. It worked all of ONCE, Hogan vs. Warrior at WrestleMania VI, and that only came out well because 1. Hogan worked the match as a (subtle) heel, and 2. They rehearsed the match several times a week for almost a month until it was perfect, which generally isn't how matches are done. But they knew the match would be terrible otherwise, so they took every precaution to make it idiot-proof (or "Warrior-proof", as the case may be).

Plus, at least in that scenario you had one "ring general" in Hogan, who understands how a match should be structured and played out. Goldberg can't call a spot, let alone a match, and Undertaker used to let Kevin f*cking Nash call and carry their matches, which says a lot about what kind of "ring general" 'Taker is himself (as in, not a very good one). And that's fine; even Sting has said that he personally, for all his experience, was never the guy to carry a match, he was the guy who needed to be carried. BUT, ONE guy in the match has to be the one to carry it, and neither Goldberg OR Undertaker is the guy you get to carry a match. Not now, not 20 years ago, it's not what they're good at. They only exist to no-sell offense until it's time to hit a Finisher. And you can't book TWO of those guys against each other in the same goddamn match or it's a disaster. And here we are.

Bottom line, as someone with an appreciation for both guys, it's long past time they called it a career. And I always, ALWAYS say, "It's not my business to tell anyone when their time is up." But Goldberg - who I maintain HAD a role in the business and played that role to the hilt, and I refuse to take anything away from him for it - was never very good in the ring at his best days. And Undertaker... god, he's getting to like "Hogan vs. Piper in 1998" levels of embarrassing. Whatever "legacy" he's built is getting chipped away at every time he comes back for one more big payday and one more terrible match. Like yeah, we forgive him, but it's f*cking depressing. He's old, he's hurt, he's got nothing left to prove. Every match he performs is worse than the last one. Last time, even with goddamn Shawn Michaels to bump for him, they put on a sh*t match. It was a disaster. Nobody can safely carry his ass anymore, it's time to go home. He's either gonna get hurt or hurt someone else.

Like I said, I don't tell people "It's time to hang it up". But these two guys need to hang it up, like, a year before yesterday.

Consider that even Hogan, when asked, tells everyone that he simply can't do it anymore, regardless of the money on the table. Between his broken back and whatever pride he still has, he won't work a match, period. When THAT guy has more humility and self-awareness than guys like Undertaker, who's supposed to know better, it's very sad.

We all need money, but for f*ck's sake, enough is enough.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote