View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #19
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Someone told me yesterday that he doesn't read much because he finds most books to be boring, although he enjoys fantasy books such as the Harry Potter series. I told him that perhaps he just hasn't read the right books. It's like playing video games and watching movies. There will be those that you like, and those you don't.

Have you ever read That Was Then, This is Now? That's the sequel to The Outsiders. It's not as good, but you should still try it out.

Someone also told me yesterday that children's books are the best, although she's actually the second person to ever tell me that.
I wasn't huge on That Was Then, This is Now... or Rumble Fish. I thought that Tex was probably Hinton's strongest novel other than The Outsiders.

I definitely don't understand people who say books are boring - like... how can you say that? Have you read every book? I firmly believe that there's a book out there for everyone. You just have to keep trying til you find the right one that unlocks your love of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
No, penny, I've not heard of those, and I never got into Anne of Green Gables, either, TBH. I loved Black Beauty, Misty of Chincoteague, and Walter Farley's Black Stallion series, though. One of my other favorites was Big Red, which was a novel about Man O' War, and another called King of the Wind, about one of the three ancestor Arabians from which the Thoroughbred race breed originated. Obviously, I loved horse stories as a kid.
You may want to check out the Sevenwaters series - it's basically a Celtic retelling of the fairytale The Six Swans... it's a really good read, IMO. What do you think of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series?

I was obsessed with books about horses as well. If it had a horse in it, I read it. Oh god, I just remembered... I had like the entire collection of the original The Saddle Club books as well. And I was so crazy about The Silver Brumby series... I don't know if The Silver Brumby is really well-known overseas, but they're an Australian series (they also did a movie starring Russell Crowe which totally sucked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Goosebumps books. Those were great.
Hells yeah - The Werewolf of Fever Swamp was always my fave!

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote