View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 AM   #248
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I don’t think it was ambiguous. Think about it. Splinter never sought out Shredder because he strongly believed that revenge was pointless. Splinter seemed to give him an ample amount of chances to drop the unnecessary one-sided feud between them. If Splinter wanted to, he could’ve taken him out, but instead, he chose to incapacitate him by hitting all of his pressure points. He weakened him, and even then, it was in self-defense as he was about to stab him.

You know I never really understood why Splinter thought leaving Shredder with his empire and resources alone was a good idea, by the time season 3 hit Splinter knew Shredder allied with the Krang(and helped turned New York into a quarantine zone), tried to create a mutant army, and turned his 16 year old daughter into a tykebomb. I really don't see how Splinter would have thought Saki would turnover a new leaf and stop his vendetta.

Quote:
The case with the turtles finally taking out Shredder struck me as being a last resort since they were obviously planning on demutating him. It also felt like a last resort since, at this point, he was much too dangerous in his current form since he had a serious vendetta. It’s like their hands were forced and tied. Splinter came to Leonardo and let him know that Shredder was still alive. It’s like Mikey said, he could go after April’s father or Casey’s family (found it weird this was mentioned…foreshadowing maybe?), not to mention her, who was still in the hospital and wouldn’t have a chance of defending herself. Revenge was definitely more than likely sprinkled in there, but it still felt more like the Turtles were doing this to protect not only themselves, but those around them and those associated with them. It wasn’t for revenge alone…so yeah, this is why I didn’t feel that this message was ambiguous. Also, if it was solely for revenge, I don’t think they would’ve had Leo trying to get through to him regarding fate and stuff.
If he was too dangerous in his current form then why didn't they at least try to find his hideout or steal some antimutagen weapons from the mob. Also again I have to point to the time when New York was quarantined where hundreds of people were probably either hurt or killed(a situation where Shredder was at least partly responsible). It all feels sort of last minute where they waited until the Shredder personally hurt them in a way they can't recover to actually do something, they(including Splinter) had numerous of chances to stop Shredder before he did something irredeemable but they waited until Splinter's death to actually do something.

Quote:
Revenge was definitely more than likely sprinkled in there, but it still felt more like the Turtles were doing this to protect not only themselves, but those around them and those associated with them. It wasn’t for revenge alone…so yeah, this is why I didn’t feel that this message was ambiguous. Also, if it was solely for revenge, I don’t think they would’ve had Leo trying to get through to him regarding fate and stuff.
Then again Leo did try to connect him when he was about to die so it comes off as a Leo not wanting to be killed by Shredder than giving Shredder another chance hell Leo even tries to kill Shredder when Shredder took what Leo had to say about him turning into a demon and actually thinking about it for a second.