View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm not that nostalgic a person, at least with respect to media, 'cause I mostly like the same stuff I've always liked. It's more about childhood happenings, one such being there was a flea market I always used to go to when Pokemon first came out in the states. It was full of Japanese & Chinese import sellers who had "Pocket Monsters" merch that nobody else did. I was like the only kid I knew who had overseas toys, posters, etc. & it was super cool. I think about those trips there somewhat often, it was always a feast for the eyes. The whole place itself was really cool. Giant ass concrete building full of international goods, chandeliers, jewels, weapons, carpets, toys, lights of lights & sparkly stuff, fried foods, it was baller.
Oh man I have so many memories from my Summer vacations up until 2005 when I'd travel with my family to a new foreign country and stay there for some days. The night before the flight was always an almost sleepless night since I could barely hold my excitement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Ocarina of Time is still an excellent game (especially the 3DS remake), and A Link to the Past is good too. But its comparing 2D Zelda to 3D Zelda, they play completely different.

Also Ocarina of Time is literally almost 20 years old now. That's not really that good an example when its nearly as old as A Link to the Past, they both came out only 6 years apart, 1992-1998.
The thing is, Ocarina was my 2nd Zelda. Before it I had only owned and played the first ever Zelda NES game. I didn't lay my eyes on ALttP or even k new of its existence until my brother one day came home with it in 2002 or so(friend had loaned it to him). And I only played the game all the way through in 2012 during Spring/Summer. Ocarina we got it when it came out and I beat it around 1999-2000. It was a very special game for me and the first game ever that helped me emotionally connect with its characters. It felt like the most epic game ever at the time.

I replayed Ocarina around 2014(GameCube port). Still liked it a lot but not as much as back in the day. Didn't even bother killing all of the gold skultullas or getting every single heart piece that time. The water temple was still as tedious as I had remembered it and I even liked the Lord Jabu Jabu dungeon even less than I did back in the day.

Yes, generally 2D games age better. The N64/Saturn/PS1 generation has aged the worst.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote