View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #16
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

I would love a tmnt film with the tone and irreverence of Deadpool.
It works for Deadpool because, well, Deadpool is a douche. The tone of the film fits the character. But the movie, for me, was hardly an exemplary film in the superhero genre. It worked well as a comedy. But because the film was so humor-centric, the story and action sequences lacked gravitas. It's a superhero movie for drunk college students. I don't want that to be TMNT.

TMNT is comradery and family. I don't mean "family" as in "Family film," but brotherhood. It's not "my roommate is an old lady on crack." A lot of people don't like that the Fred Wolf animated series created a connotation that TMNT was just jokes and random action. I don't see how making the jokes R-rated and making it cynical is respecting the franchise.

Maybe it's because I'm in my 30s and I have been watching R rated movies since I was 5, but the fact that a movie is R rated no longer impresses me. I don't mind that Logan is R-rated. That's interesting. But that's not what makes good films or effective films. If I like that movie, it won't be because I saw his claws go through someone's cranium. It's like the horror genre and its fans who are always clamoring for horror to be exclusively R rated. Yet, when I think of the horror films that have made me jump or have made me fear something -- and its only a handful of horror films -- most of them are PG or PG-13. I think, out of those films, Halloween is the only one that is R. That's because you don't need to see someone's intestines to scare people.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 02-28-2017 at 10:29 PM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote