View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #1154
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if it was just a goof, or something they're aware of but don't think warrants a great big explanation.

I don't have the answer to your question, but I know in past cases of things like this, the writer is told "Just wing it" and not worry too much about continuity. Especially if it's Johns or Morrison; if Johns wants to use "Classic Firestorm" in his Big Story that's gonna sell a ton of books, then what he's doing trumps whatever else has happened with the character recently, and they can explain it or not bother.

A similar case was when "Classic Aquaman" showed up during Final Crisis, despite Arthur being dead around that time, and someone else taking up the mantle briefly in "Sword of Atlantis" or whatever. But Morrison wanted to use Classic Aquaman for a scene, so they told him "Go ahead, we don't need to explain it", and there it was. They DID later just hand-wave it and say, "It was Aquaman from another Earth", but the truth is it was implicitly supposed to be the "real" one, and they simply didn't want to have to go into details about bringing him back from the dead or why he was wearing his Super Friends outfit.

Same deal here. Casuals more likely know Ronnie and Stein as Firestorm, so they just shrug the rest off rather than explain it. A little bit annoying but eh.
I know the original Firestorm appeared at the end of the Super Friends run,but upon research I see that Jason was the face of Firestorm while Ronnie was in his head and his dimwitted football coach,but JL: Action went back to the original. As for the comics I cannot find anything after Brightest Day. There was that major plot point with Ronnie and Jason that was dropped, while Deathstorm was rewritten as a CSA member. It was just odd seeing Ronnie talking to Stein without an explanation. Unlike the Aquaman example this is a major plot point not just shown for a page with no dialogue.

I do remember that page with Aquaman and explanation now that you mentioned it. It was weird how Aquaman was killed off off-panel and no one acknowledged it then suddenly he was a black lantern so he had to be dead. Had a major hero ever been killed off so quietly?

That reminds me...Mera was focused on after she witnessed Garth killed by black lanterns. That means all of the Titans have died except Dick Grayson who has suffered everything else including a faked death. To stretch it further all of the original sidekicks generation have been killed except for Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon. This adds pre-crisis Supergirl and Barbara with the other five.

Another reminder too, Hawkman was killed off twice in under a year. He was a victim of Final Crisis and then in Blackest Night he shows up again fully healed only to die? Editorial did a poor job of keeping a causality list! Hawkman gets so little respect even editors forget he was killed to the point he is killed again a few months later!