Thread: Black April
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #66
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I can't see what valid reason there is to make her non-white.
Because white should not be the "default setting" for fictional characters. We live in a diverse world, and our fiction should represent that.

It's the same argument whenever a traditionally-white character is "reimagined" as a person of colour. People asked the same question when they cast Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm in the new Fantastic Four movie, and when Idris Elba was cast as Heimdall in Thor, and when Michael Clarke Duncan was cast as the Kingpin in Daredevil, and on and on. The fact is that for people of colour -- and especially women of colour, I should point out -- there aren't anywhere near as many established, strong, integral characters or roles available or given a spotlight as there are for white characters. And for the sake of representation, I think it's very worthwhile to re-evaluate whether or not certain characters have to, or even should, be white. In the case of April, I can't think of a single reason beyond her last name. But it's an easy matter of making her mixed-race or adopted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
Okay I finished XD Black April O'Neil!

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...psb4ca600b.jpg
Whoa, that is awesome!! I'm impressed how quickly you made that!

And honestly, I think I like this look better than the current design from the Nick show. I'd love to see this version of April in animated form.

Last edited by Bry; 07-11-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote